Sunday, October 11, 2015

It's Been a Lazy Weekend...Looking to Be a Lazy Week...



Reading Reflection


So, we've finally begun to read the Bhagavad Gita (had to make sure I spelled it right as I was typing), plus we've moved on to more sutras. I've been looking forward to getting started on the Gita and seeing what it's about. It's been interesting so far, and I like that each chapter is kind of explained a little beforehand, since I would be completely lost on who some of the characters are if they weren't there.
I was curious to see how war would be treated in this story, since the sutras (like in the 8 Limbs) have explained that things such as violence should be avoided. From what I got from Krishna's explanation, war is justified if it's a war against evil, and if you don't go into war or violence with anger, greed, or any negative intentions. It reminds me a bit about how there's debate in religions concerning pacifism or just war. Even if Arjuna's friends and relatives were to die, they would only be shedding their temporary skin, since the soul is immortal, so at this point it would only do harm to not fight against this evil and corruption. I kind of wondered about Krishna's talk about honor though. If it's only the good and pure immortal soul that matters, why would Krishna worry about Arjuna's reputation if he chose not to fight. I get that Arjuna maybe needs to set an example for future generations about the right thing to do in wars against evil and corruption such as this (whether they're external or internal/personal battles), but then I would think Arjuna's reputation and honor (what people think and say about him) in the earthly, material world should come really low on his list of worries (especially considering how much it's said in the sutras that one's ego needs to be tamed and let go of). So, why did Krishna mention it as a reason to fight in the middle of going on and on about how Arjuna needs to detach himself from such earthly, human emotions and desires? Maybe it's something I missed out on understanding, or it's simply a culture thing of the time...
I can understand Arjuna's initial grief, though. It would be horrible to have to potentially kill your loved ones, even if it was for a cause you felt was completely necessary and justified. It can't be an easy decision to make, so now it's Krishna's job to explain to him why the sacrifice is necessary.

Class Reflection


Class has been pretty normal. I had the day off this past Thursday, but before that we discussed the 8 Limbs of yoga, ate candy (always a good time), and learned some more stretches. I think I'm starting to slip up a little during the corpse pose and let my mind wander to other thoughts too much. Keeping myself focused and calm-minded takes effort, something I'm not really used to except when I'm trying to study. Even then it's sometimes difficult.
I'm glad that in this class we take the time to use props, try out stretches and simpler techniques before moving into the actual poses, and pause to explain sometimes. In my other class, we sometimes are told alternative poses we can do for some of the more demanding poses, but once we get into a flow or routine it can be a little hard for me to keep up at times. I don't really have that kind of problem in this class. It's also nice that we're learning and reading memoirs, sutras, and the Gita, too.
I think it would be kind of cool if there were days in class where we had a theme going, like a day where we focus only on more relaxing and stretchy poses, or just working on external rotation of the hips one day and then internal rotation the next day. But I'm also fine with our poses being a little scattered like we've been doing, since it never gets boring. I also like that we use more props in this class (such as the blankets and straps) to test out the limits of our bodies and prep for the poses. The eye pillows are always a plus, too, of course.

Outside of Class


This week is going to the first week in a good while where I don't have at least one exam and/or a project to worry about, so I'll have some more free time than usual to practice yoga outside of class, though I admittedly didn't really do anything productive aside from homework this weekend. It could just be me, but I actually do feel physically better than I used to, like when I'm walking or bending myself. I admit though, stairs are still my mortal enemy.
It's always fun seeing new poses in my other yoga class get introduced, and I recognize them because of this yoga class. There's some poses I've learned in the other class as well that I'm curious to see if they're going to come up in this class, too.
I think I'm going to start trying to evaluate and do something about some of the problems we talk about in the sutras, like avoidance and attachment. I think I have more problems with attachment than I do with avoidance. I do pretty well on a few of the 8 limbs, such as keeping from violence or unnecessary harm towards others. I don't like hurting people, or stirring up or getting involved in conflict. I don't think I could ever become a vegetarian or vegan, though, and I'm not about to let insects roam free and reproduce in my house. I can start with trying some of the more manageable day to day things, though. I need to work on my focus and breathing during yoga, too.
Trying to practice detachment in your everyday life is hard. It's so easy and comfortable to simply avoid things you don't like and stick to what gives you pleasure no matter the potential consequences. I honestly don't want to give up on a lot of things that I feel and do, but I'm willing to try to control them better and make them less detrimental to my life and personal health.

1 comment:

  1. I usually teach with a bit more of a theme. Here, you are right it is a little more a bit of everything.

    ReplyDelete