Thursday, October 1, 2015

Breaking Shackles...


Reading Reflection


We finally finished How Yoga Works, and we've covered a lot of sutras by now. I've gotten started on the first book that we are supposed to blog about, which I'll get into in the memoir blog. How Yoga Works was an enjoyable and leisurely read that taught about yoga while telling a story about a unique protagonist. Some of the events in the plot were a little cliche and contrived, but for me that didn't take away from the story, and the book cast a very nice and hopeful image of what good yoga can do for both the individual and everyone else around that person. I also liked how there was a big emphasis on trying to be a good person with good intentions, and to be happy while hoping for the happiness of others. It's a big thing to want from so many people in the world, obviously, but it really would be nice if everyone could just be happy and get along for once.
I really do enjoy learning and discussing the sutras and learning the philosophy behind yoga. I want to learn about the spiritual part since I know it's important to yoga and its origins, and for delving into your inner self. I know some people do it purely for physical purposes and don't want anything else out of it, which is fine, but I really like experiencing a physical, emotional, and mental change all while learning, especially about things that are old and important in a culture. It's one of the reasons I don't regret being a part of BIC, since BIC classes have enabled me to learn about all kinds of places and cultures.

Class Reflection


So, this week I presented in class. I finished off the final chapters of How Yoga Works.  I've never been very good at leading groups or giving presentations, but it went pretty well overall! I stuck a bunch of questions into my fire shark's mouth (for no particular reason other than I found it fun to see people's reactions to it). I think a lot of people read the chapters ahead of time and so they forgot some parts of the reading, but it just gave me a chance to discuss those parts with everyone. Honestly, I'm just glad it's over with and that I did a good enough job.
We're also now starting to get a little more bendy and twisted with a couple of poses. We're still working a little on the headstand poses, and now we're beginning to prep for putting out foot behind our heads. Definitely still have a ways to go before I'm able to do that, but I did better than I thought I did! Besides these new poses, things have been going pretty smoothly with everything else. Since I started using the blocks, my downward-facing dogs have been better. Using the various props, like the blankets and strap, has also helped with a lot. I'm considering looking for some of my own props later this semester, or at least before next year since I won't be able to go to any yoga classes. Although, I might look into yoga classes in Waco if I find the time. I definitely at least intend to continue practicing yoga on my own afterwards.

Outside of Class


I haven't had as much time this week as I would have liked to practice outside of class, with exams and big assignments in my other classes. This weekend will be even busier. However, since in my other yoga class we've been going over different types of yoga, I've had a little fun in my free time with trying out, or just checking out, the different kinds of yoga out there alongside the poses we've been learning in the BIC yoga class. There are a lot more than I thought there would be, though a lot of yoga teachers like to put their own personal spins in their classes. I'll admit I'm most found of the types of yoga like relaxation yoga and yin yoga where the main focus is getting relaxed and stretched but also sometimes building up some strength and endurance alongside it.
Yin yoga was interesting for me in that I wasn't rushed to keep up with the pace, and I was able to properly bend and stretch everything out, but it proved a little difficult for me in some poses since I had to hold those poses for several minutes. I haven't tried the more difficult and demanding types of yoga, or ones like hot yoga, since I feel like I would just hurt myself or make myself miserable.
I've been evaluating the way I see and feel things as well, because of the class and what we're reading. I've also been considering my attachment and aversion to various things. Going to two yoga classes and practicing yoga on my own has been a battle against my aversion to physical effort and sweating. Before yoga started, I decided I was going to try to overcome my aversion to/fear of heights. During the summer, I managed to drum up the courage to walk across the Skywalk over the Grand Canyon, a big, open-air, U-shaped bridge with see-through floors. I was extremely nervous, barely managed to look down, and my legs felt shaky afterwards, but I did it, and I felt happy and stronger for it. Yoga has helped me want to continue trying to overcome and unshackle myself from the fears and pains in my life such as this, and to become stronger and more at peace with myself, something I've admittedly had trouble doing for several years now.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is really good, Lindsey. I really like the mix of comics, and humor and good insight into the text and life reflection. Glad you are trying out some other modes of yoga.

    ReplyDelete