Saturday, November 21, 2015

Thanksgiving On the Way...




Class Reflection


Class this week was much more laid back, but very nice. On Tuesday, we got to meet the author of Yoga From the Inside Out. We all got to sit around in a circle, cuddle with our bolsters, and ask her questions. We got to have interesting talks about things like yoga in the air with silk scarves...that was something.
I also liked when she got to talking about the culture differences in people's perspectives, like when she went to India and realized that body ideals were different from the ideals that America perpetuates. It's a sad but true fact that out society puts thin pressures on the people living in it, and then that pressure results in women, and even some men, feeling horribly dissatisfied with themselves (starting from such a young age, too). Even if you don't end up developing a disorder such as bulimia or anorexia, you can still be left feeling self-conscious about your body image throughout your entire life. It's great that yoga has been able to help her with parts of that, though. I feel like it is kind of helping me in some ways, too. I'm comfortable with doing yoga in a room of other guys and girls, and I never would have dared to wear yoga pants before this semester either.
Thursday was also great since it was completely dedicated to relaxation poses. This week was really tiring for me with an exam and big essay and another essay proposal, and Thursday was one of those days where I just wanted to go home and collapse in bed. I feel like it was that way for most of the others in class, too. It was a bit harder than usual to relax my mind that day, I'll admit, since it was all over the place with worries about things I needed to get done, but the calmness of class that day did help. I was able to get some work done in the morning, take a break to do yoga, and then go home feeling more rejuvenated and ready to get the rest of my work done!

Outside of Class


I already mentioned this in my class reflection, but I had an exam, a big essay for that same class due, and another essay's proposal due, along with the regular class homework for that week. I power-read through some of the readings for my other classes the week before so I would have more time to study and write. It helps with my focus on important things if I'm able to get everything else out of the way first. It feels sort of the same with yoga, in that if I have other things that I'm worrying about on my mind I find it hard to calm down and focus on what's important in that moment (in the case of yoga, the important thing is focusing inward and on the poses).
There isn't too much going on otherwise, though. In my other yoga class, we went through a flow that was really challenging and tired me out. I felt very worked-out, which admittedly felt pretty nice in the end, but I probably wouldn't want to do it again, or I would at least want to take a few poses out. During the second class we got to talking about chakras, which I had actually learned about before from a friend a couple of years back who was really into the idea of chakras and spiritual energy flowing throughout us and everything else in the world.
I'm really looking forward to Thanksgiving break since I get time off from class, get to see my family and dogs (my dogs are just the best at making me calm and happy, and they don't even have to try), and get to eat a big delicious Thanksgiving dinner. I need the breather for a few days before finals come around. I hope everyone else has a great Thanksgiving break and gets to spend time with their family as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment